CHOCOLATE & ROSEMARY OLIVE OIL CAKE
I usually gravitate to cakes spiked with citrus or fruit, but some days you just need a little chocolate. This cake is so simple, and needs no fancy equipment. It is especially pretty at this time of the year when the tiny purple flowers are beginning to bloom on the rosemary. Just adding a small amount of the herb gives a wonderful fragrance to the cake and will keep you coming back for more!
You can make this cake in any tin you like, if smaller than the suggested, you will need to reduce the cooking time.
MAKES 1 CAKE
180ml extra virgin olive oil
300g natural yoghurt
300g caster sugar
seeds of 1 vanilla bean
300g self-raising flour
50g bittersweet cocoa powder
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary, plus extra to serve
180g 70% chocolate, finely chopped
160ml pouring cream
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a 23cm round cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, yoghurt, sugar and vanilla seeds until combined.
3. Sift flour and cocoa into wet ingredients and add rosemary. Mix well to combine.
4. Pour into prepared tin a bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out just clean. Cool slightly in tin and turn out onto wire rack to completely cook.
5. Meanwhile, heat the cream until just begins to simmer. Take off heat and pour over chocolate. Leave to sit for a couple of minutes and then stir until all the chocolate has melted. Set aside for 10 minutes to cook and thicken slightly. Pour over cake and let drip down the sides. Top the cake with extra rosemary sprigs and flowers.